Talk money week: pension credit
This week is Talk Money week, which runs from Monday 9th until Friday 13th November, and aims to get people talking about money so that they can find tips, support and have those sometimes difficult conversations that can actually lead to a healthier financial situation.
This week, we’ll be discussing a number of money-related topics to help you reduce your living costs and ensure you are receiving everything you are entitled to.
Today, we’re introducing pension credit and what this benefit may also entitle you to.
Pension Credit is a benefit for people over state pension age. It tops up your income if you’re struggling to make ends meet.
If you’re eligible, Pension Credit will not only give you a bit of extra cash, it could also help you get other benefits too:
- A reduction in council tax
- Free NHS dental treatment, and you can claim help towards the cost of glasses and travel to hospital
- You’ll get a Cold Weather Payment of £25 when the temperature is 0°C or below for 7 days in a row
- If you rent your home, you may get your rent paid in full by Housing Benefit
- If you own your home, you may be eligible for help with mortgage interest, ground rent and service charges
- If you’re a carer, you may get an extra amount known as Carer Premium, or Carer Addition if it’s paid with Pension Credit. This is worth up to £36.85 a week
- If you’re over 75, the BBC has announced that from 2020 you’ll need to be claiming Pension Credit to get a free TV licence
You have nothing to lose by applying and potentially a lot to gain – even if you’ve previously been turned down, it’s always worth making a new claim every year. Benefits rates change every year, as can your finances.
If you want a confidential chat to see if you would qualify please call our specialist team on 0300 123 2640.Back to News & events