Support announced for the rising cost of living
To support households with the current cost of living crisis, the Government has announced the following package of support:
Cost of Living Payments from DWP and HMRC.
This is a £650 cost of living payment which:
– Is payable to households who, as at 25 May 2022, are in receipt of universal credit, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income-related employment and support allowance, income support, working tax credit, child tax credit or pension credit.
– Will be paid in two lump sums directly into the claimant’s bank account – the DWP will make the first payment from July 2022 and the second in the autumn, while payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after to avoid duplicate payments.
– Will be tax-free, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards.
£300 pensioner cost of living payment
– Will be paid to all pensioner households (those where a person is aged 66 or over between 19-25 September 2022) as a top-up to their annual winter fuel payment in November/December 2022.
– Is not taxable and does not affect eligibility for other benefits and will be paid on top of any other one-off support the household is entitled to.
£150 disability cost of living payment
– Is payable to people who, as at 25 May 2022, are in receipt of (or have begun a claim, which is later successful, for) disability living allowance, personal independence payment, attendance allowance, Scottish disability benefits, armed forces independence payment, constant attendance allowance or war pension mobility supplement
– Will be paid directly to eligible people from September 2022.
– Will be exempt from tax, will not count towards the benefit cap and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards and will be paid on top of any other one-off support the person is entitled to.
For more information or advice about any of these new cost of living support payments, please get in touch with our specialist team on 0300 123 2640, or via the MyHillcrest app.Back to News & events