Are you insured?

Home Contents Insurance Scheme

Hillcrest does not insure your contents or personal possessions against events such as fire, flood and theft.  Unfortunately some tenants and owners only realise this after they suffer a loss. Hillcrest strongly recommends that you purchase contents insurance to cover items such as your furniture, carpets, clothes, bedding and electrical items.

Hillcrest Homes tenants only

We are delighted to tell you that Hillcrest Homes tenants are eligible to apply for the Diamond Insurance Scheme for home contents.  There is no excess to pay, and you can chose a number of easy payment options such as paying weekly, fortnightly or monthly and can pay by payment card, monthly direct debit or annually by cheque, postal order, credit or debit card.

This is not a Hillcrest policy, and is administered by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA).

If you would like to apply for this insurance, or would like more information, you can access the application guide and form, rates card, insurance product information document or you can call RSA direct on 0345 671 8172.

Hillcrest Enterprises tenants only

Hillcrest insures your building but does not insure your contents. We strongly recommend you take out contents insurance to cover you for loss or damage to your contents due to flood, storm, fire, escape of water or theft. Hillcrest will not compensate you for loss or damage to your contents.

Hillcrest Enterprises tenants are not eligible for the Diamond Insurance Scheme so you should arrange for your own home contents insurance instead. More information can be found here.