If you have an additional support need our Student Support Service can help you achieve your learning potential. We offer support to allow you to take part in further education at college or university and will help you achieve your goals.
We currently provide support at Dundee and Angus College, Dundee University, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Abertay University, Perth College and Highland and Islands University, Perth Campus.
We will ensure you are at the centre of all planning and will develop outcome plans and risk assessments with you to ensure consistency of support.We offer a safe and secure service that is non-judgmental, professional, confidential and flexible to changing needs such as timetables.
You can be referred to the service by your social worker, care manager or student adviser, or you can self refer if you are self-funding.
Ways we can support you
- Travel to and from college/university
- Orientation around the campus
- Explaining things in a way you will understand, taking back-up notes and relaying instructions
- Helping you organise your work, study time, checking emails and ensuring you are meeting deadlines
- Supporting you to liaise with lecturers and student advisors
- Supporting you with tasks in class and with group work
- Keeping you motivated and giving you encouragement
- Assisting with communication using tools such as Makaton, show me board and pictorial prompts
- Giving reassurance if you are upset or anxious
- Listening to you and giving you advice if needed
- Offering support during breaks and lunchtimes to get lunch, pay for food or snacks, visit the library or computer hubs and socialising with friends
- Ensuring your safety and wellbeing at all times as well as promoting independence
- Assisting with personal care if required
We are an accredited service with the National Autistic Society (NAS). This involves our team working closely through set standards which are designed by NAS. By meeting these standards we prove our understanding of how to support people with autism and provide a high standard of support. We undergo regular reviews carried out by NAS to ensure we continue to work to a high standard.
Our staff receive training to ensure they can work confidently with all students and we continually review our students’ support needs and train staff accordingly. We observe staff practice to ensure they are meeting the standard required.